In another age Sint-Kruis-Winkel (Kruis = cross) was a quiet farming town east of the "Sassche Canal". That Sassche Canal in recent times became the huge Ghent-Terneuzen Canal for sea faring ships. It goes right through the heart of Zelzate which is completely cut in two.
The Holy Cross Church of St.-Kruis-Winkel
A tunnel was then dug to alleviate the lot of the long suffering motorists. When that canal then attracted all kinds of industrial enterprises, great swathes of farmland on both sides were sacrificed to the gods of industry and progress.
Inside the church
In the Middle Ages St.-Kruis-Winkel belonged to the Assenede Corporation, like Assenede itself, Zelzate, Ertvelde, Wachtebeke and Kluizen. The Canal separated St.-Kruis-Winkel from Assenede and from the rest of the former Corporation. Administratively they remained with Assenede but they were separate juridically.
In 1964 St Kruis-Winkel which had a population of 1800 was absorbed into the city of Ghent. The politicians can decide what they want, with or without the approval of the citizens, but what once belonged to our Meetjesland will always belong to our Meetjesland.
The 28th Bishop of Ghent, Leonce Albert Van Peteghem, was born here on 7 October 1916. He entered the priesthood and was ordained on 18 August 1940. Pope Paul VI nominated him Bishop of Ghent and Cardinal Suenens gave him his benediction in the Cathedral of St. Bavo in Ghent on 29 June 1964. His retirement request was accepted by Pope John Paul II on 27 December 1991. He passed away in Ghent on 7 Janaury 2004.
Most recent update : 16-05-2018