August was the eleventh child in the family of Noë-De Craene. Here is his birth certificate in Dutch and in English. When he was born his mother was 46 years old and his father 52, his two oldest brothers had already passed away and a few months later his youngest brother would also die. He grew up in the Fonteyne (Fountain) area of Assenede.
|The birth-act of August Noë|
The burgomaster wrote "Noé" but Petrus Joannes signed "Noë".
As a 20 year old he had to present himself at the town hall just like all other young men of his age to draw a number to decide on his military career. His father had already paid for four substitutes for his four eldest sons but this time they were lucky: August drew number 58 and was exempt from all military service.
|Pictures of 1922:|
and Justine De Decker
door H. Smitz & Fils, Eecloo.
August and Justine De Decker were married in Kluizen on 19 November 1870. She was born there on 18 March 1842, the daughter of Bruno De Decker and Maria Theresia De Jonghe. They farmed in Kluizen in the hamlet called Pachtgoed (Leasehold). They farmed there for only about 10 years and around Christmas 1880 the whole family moved to St. Margriete, to the farm where one of his great-grandsons still farms today. It was not a white Christmas and many (dirt) roads were inundated. On 4 January 1881 he was officially registered in St Margriete. Mamma De Decker, his mother-in-law came too. She died in St Margriete aged 87 on 22/1/1887. During the last few years of her life she was completely blind.
The farm is situated to the south of what is now called the Molenkreekstraat
("Molen" is mill and "kreek" is creek, lake). In 1714
Parcel Number 26 in the 3rd section is the property of Joseph Bocxstael
and it was described as follows in the 1714 Doomsday Book of St.-Margriete:
"denselven Bocxstael ten noortenyde daer aen, ende aen de westsyde neast het noorteynde van tweede voorgaende parcheel, acht lijnen, sestien roeden lants, metter hofstede daer op staende daer hij woondt metten noorthende aen voornoemde wegh."
"the same Bocxstael has to the north thereof and to the west side next to the north side of two previous parcels, a plot of land of eight lines, sixteen rods with a farm on it and he lives there with on its north side the aforementioned road."
A "line" is 100 rods.
In the margin of the text were added later on the names of those who cultivated the land and in 1731 that was the "proprietaris".
The farm was bought in 1723 by a certain Domyn Matthys who then owned approximately 26 hectares. In 1744 he also bought Parcel 1 in the 4th section, the farm of De Bast and in 1750 he also bought plots 27, 28 and 29 in the 4th section on the other side of the creek.
August was from Assenede. He went to farm in Kluizen. How did he come to find this farm in St. Margriete ? Let's not forget that in those days of (dirt) roads without cars one went everywhere on foot or in a horse drawn buggy. The De Decker family and Father Petrus Sonneville, vicar of Kluizen from 1861 were good friends. Father Sonneville no doubt came into contact with August after he married Justine De Decker. And then Father Sonneville became the parish priest of Waterland-Oudeman, which is next to St Margriete.
August was alderman of St. Margriete from 24/1/1891 until 6/1/1896. In 1904 they left the farm to their son Emiel and retired to Bentille where Justine passed away on 26/11/1920 only a week after their golden wedding anniversary. August survived her almost 10 more years and died in the same town on 8/9/1930.
August and Justine had six children. The town clerk of Kluizen has written "Noé" in the birth certificates of the children of August except for Emiel where he used the now more prevalent "Noë".
The parents of August:
Petrus Joannes and Monica De Craene
Most recent update : 22-04-2020